Railway Design Associates

Whittemore's Witch Hazel

Railway Design

Sold out.

by Jonathan Carr

Witch hazel is an astringent produced from the leaves and bark of the North American Witch-hazel shrub. This plant extract was widely used for medicinal purposes by Native Americans to treat swellings, inflammations, and tumors. A missionary, Dr. Charles Hawes, learned of the preparation's therapeutic properties, and then determined through extensive study that the product of steam distillation of the plant's twigs was even more effective. "Hawes Extract" was first produced and sold in Essex, Connecticut in 1846 by druggist and chemist Alvan Whittemore.Ì_åÇÌÎÌ__ His factory was in a building on east side of Prospect St in Essex, CT. and continued production for 20 years until Rev. T.N. Dickinson took over production and moved the production facilities several blocks west of Whittemore's factory.

Note that this model is not an exact replica of Whittemore's factory but is rather representative of industrial buildings of the area at the time.

Footprint approximately 18" X 4"

Parts List:

Detail Sprue
Window & Doors
Roof
Bay Window/Riser
Stone Power House
Gable Walls
Side Walls
Tar Paper Roofing
Sheet Styrene
Water Tank w/Roof
Tichy Light and Bracket
Lasercut End Doors

Featured